Friday, October 12, 2007

Al Gore wins peace prize

Al Gore was awareded the Nobel peace prize. It was for global warming.

My initial reaction was that he would not have got it had he not been a politician. May be I was wrong.

Being a liberal in thought and all for science and eco-friendliness, I ought to be happy that this is a significant step or atleast feel happy for Gore.

But something never fit in even before reasoning.

What is the Nobel peace prize?
This is what it is. Alfred Nobel's Dynamite did not cause the best of impacts on the world. As a means of making up for what he had done this Nobel prizes were created. This constituted acknowledgement of contributions in various fields in science, medicine, economics and peace.

Gore got a prize for peace. What did he do for the peace? He got it for his contributions to global warming. The concept of global warming itself is controversial. But that is not my argument and I am not getting into that.

My question was, what does global warming got ot do with peace? This to me is the missing piece.
Even if it does, is he the one who has worked the most on global warming or contributed to fighting global warming on the face of this earth? More than the scientists who struggle in those temperatures in the field. I am surprised.
This to me takes me to the next question.

What exactly did he do towards the cause.

Wondered what global warming has got to do with peace?

No comments: